Mango Wood Furniture From India
What is the ‘king of fruits? How did the paisley pattern originate? What is common between ‘Kent’, ‘Keitt’, ‘Haden’ and ‘Alphonso’? The answer to all three questions is – mango. The mango tree originated in South-East Asia, mainly in the Indo-Burma region, almost 4000 years ago. After traveling from India to East Asia in the 4th-5th century BC, the journey of the mango tree continued to the western world after Vasco Da Gama reached India in 1498.
While the mango tree is famous all over the world for its aromatic and succulent fruit – of which there are over 1000 varieties – not many people are aware of the other ‘gift’ we get from the mango tree: mango wood.
What is Mango Wood?
Obtained from the evergreen mango tree, mango wood is a type of hardwood with a dense grain and a coarse texture. Even though mango wood is a type of hardwood, it is soft enough to be cut and reshaped into various shapes. It was this quality of mango wood that encouraged furniture manufacturers like Suren Space to bring the wood out of the forests of India and eastern Asia and into their furniture workshops.
Mango wood comes in a whole kaleidoscope of colours, ranging from light to golden brown. Spalting – or the coloration of wood due to the presence of fungi – is common in mango wood. Spalting creates various streaks of colour in the mango wood, like black, green, yellow, amber and sometimes even pink. These unique ‘designs’ make mango wood very attractive, and a popular choice for all types of furniture.
Mango wood has some inherent characteristics, which make it ideal for the creation of outstanding furniture pieces.
- Durability – Mango wood is extremely durable and lasts for many years. This quality makes it perfect for creating bespoke furniture pieces, as per the client’s requirements. Suren Space has an impressive collection of bespoke furniture, a significant section of which is made from mango wood.
- Easy to carve – This ‘soft hardwood’ is easy to carve. That is why master furniture craftsmen like Suren Space are able to create exquisitely carved works of art in furniture.
- Water resistance – With the right treatment and coating, mango wood becomes highly water resistant. Such water-resistant wood is ideal for outdoor furniture, since it can withstand exposure to the elements of Nature.
- Easy maintenance – Who doesn’t want ‘no fuss’ furniture? Mango wood requires very little maintenance, making it the ideal choice for heavy use furniture. That is why many hotels, resorts and restaurants choose Suren Space’s mango wood furniture. Low maintenance furniture is also easy on your pocket!
- Stains well – Wood stains work wonders on mango wood. Stains are used to preserve the grain of the wood, give it a beautiful colour and increase the durability of the wood. Mango wood’s dense grains and beautiful patterns are enhanced by the use of wood stains. Using this technique, Suren Space creates beautiful, customized mango wood furniture, highlighting the unique patterns of every piece of wood.
History of Mango Wood
Mango wood has been around for centuries. The journey of this very versatile tree began in ancient India, from where it traveled the world. Buddhist monks in the 4th and 5th centuries BC are believed to have carried mangoes with them on their voyages to Malaya and eastern Asia! When the Portuguese began to operate water routes to and from India in the 16th century, the mango – both fruit and wood – reached the rest of the world.
As the world became aware of the qualities of mango wood, it began to be used in various industries. One such industry was the furniture industry. With the passage of time, mango wood tables, chairs and cabinets gained popularity. If Suren Space had been around in those days, mango wood furniture might have become a household name long ago!
Popularity of Mango Wood Furniture from India
‘Wood furniture’ is a term that encompasses a vast range of wooden furniture items. One of the most popular varieties of wooden furniture is mango wood furniture, for a number of reasons.
- Sustainability – Environmental protection is of utmost importance in today’s world. While wooden furniture is very attractive and useful, it is very important to choose wood that is easily available and not an endangered tree species. Mango trees take a comparatively shorter time to reach maturity (around 15 years), and once the fruit bearing age is over, can be used as raw material in the furniture industry. That is why furniture market leaders like Suren Space prefer eco-friendly, sustainable alternatives like mango wood.
- Affordability – Stylish furniture that is competitively priced – a dream come true? Suren Space’s extensive range of mango wood furniture is just that: beautifully designed, stylish and inexpensive. Since mango wood is abundantly available, it is a much cheaper – yet equally attractive – option as compared to the more expensive teak or mahogany.
- Aesthetics – Décor is not only about making a home or workplace beautiful; it is also about adding our own, unique personal touch to the place. Mango wood furniture – especially Suren Space’s exquisitely designed and crafted mango wood furniture – has beautiful, distinctive patterns and grains that create a stunning visual impact. Aesthetics is synonymous with mango wood furniture!
Old is definitely gold in the furniture industry today. Antique and antique looking furniture is in great demand, to create that vintage, lived-in, age-old ambience. Mango wood has mottled and curly grain patterns, making it ideal for vintage furniture.
Suren Space’s Mango Wood Furniture
A tree is known by its fruit, said Saint Basil of Caesarea. The mango tree is special – not only is its fruit famous throughout the world, but it is also sought after for its wood. While mango wood is used for doors and flooring also, its main demand is for furniture. In today’s world of mass factory production, wooden furniture is becoming increasingly popular because of its durability, unique designs and warm and cozy aesthetic. In 2020 alone, the global wooden furniture market was valued at over $370 billion. Mango wood furniture contributes a significant portion of this market.
Suren Space is a furniture designer, manufacturer and exporter, based in Jodhpur, India. The company is known for its skilled craftsmen, dedication to quality and expertise in bespoke or customized furniture. While Suren Space’s furniture creation ranges across various styles and materials, one of its most popular collections is mango wood furniture.
Mango wood furniture courtesy Suren Space is in demand throughout India and abroad, in diverse places, ranging from hotels and bars to homes and offices.
- Furniture for Homes – A home is a comfort zone, where one can relax and unwind after a long day of work. That is why it is important to choose a decor that is comfortable yet stylish, functional yet cozy. Mango wood furniture from Suren Space perfectly fits the bill.
- Compact Design Metal Mango Wood Table Chair Set
- Rough Mango Wood Rustic Finish Display cum Garden Cart
- Mango Rough Finish Side Table
- Mango Rough Finish Sideboard
- Furniture for Offices – The versatility of mango wood furniture makes it equally suitable for the relaxed atmosphere of one’s home and the formal, professional setting of a corporate office. Suren Space’s mango wood furniture is being used in office setups in many countries, including India.
- Two Drawer Mango MS Center Table
- Metal Legs Mango Wood Rectangle Center Table
- Mango Rough Finish Rustic Cycle Design Floor Lamp
- Metallic Finish Iron Mango Wood Round Center Table
- Furniture for Dining Establishments – Dining is not only about the food; the ambience, decor and company also add up to complete your dining experience. Suren Space’s mango wood furniture creates the right mood for a perfect dining experience!
- Heavy Metal Mango Wood Cafe Bistro Chair
- Mango Solid Wood Folding Cafe Bistro Semi Outdoor Camping Chair
- Mango Wood Hand Rest Fine Dine Restaurant Chair
- Mango Wood Rustic Finish Serving Trolley
- Semi Outdoor Metal Aara Mango Wood Restaurant Dining Set
- Solid Mango Wood Natural Finish Cafeteria Bakery Shop Furniture
- Furniture for Hotels, Resorts, etc. – The vintage, antique style of decor is very popular in hotels and resorts nowadays, because it transports guests back to ‘the good old days’. Suren Space’s mango wood furniture includes distressed furniture, which is used to create the increasingly popular ‘vintage, rustic look’.
- Mango Wood Tile Inlay Wardrobe
- Indian Mango Rough Wood Leatherette Two-Seater Sofa
- Solid Mango and Sleeper Wood Natural Finish Hotel Resort Bed
- Two Drawer Mango Wood Indian Coffee Table
- Mango Rough Wooden Metal Support Entertainment Unit
Mango wood has revolutionized the world of furniture. With Suren Space’s expertise, mango wood furniture has surpassed other expensive types of wooden furniture to become the popular, easily available, economical, eco-friendly choice. Where the natural beauty of mango wood vies with the skill of the craftsman for prominence, the result is – a Suren Space masterpiece.